Pulp & Paper Process Equipment
Safety is paramount in a mill environment, and selecting the appropriate equipment plays a critical role. In addition, due to the corrosive and caustic nature of materials and byproducts in the pulp and paper industry, equipment needs to resist corrosion and pitting. To maintain continuous uptime and reduce long-term costs, it’s important to select the appropriate pumps, valves, steam, and instrumentation for the application. Carotek can help select equipment to meet your production requirements as well as safety and environmental standards. Let Carotek partner with you in finding the right equipment.
Pulp & Paper Pumps
Pumps are used in every aspect of the pulp and paper production. Whether the result of the production step is pulp, paper, paperboard, or another product, caustic media is involved. The best pump solutions for the industry ensure long service intervals and lifecycles.
Carotek works with pump manufacturers that design solutions for the necessary applications:
- Sulzer is known for innovative, reliable, and proven solutions for pumping, agitation, and mixing. Sulzer offers a full line of pumps, mixers, agitators, aerators, and compressors for pumping, mixing, and water and effluent treatment.
- PumpWorks provides a wide variety of centrifugal pumps. PumpWorks offers pumps suitable for chemical injection/mixing, water transfer, bleach feed, liquor transfer, blending, wash cycle applications.
At Carotek, we understand the hazards of measuring and monitoring potentially caustic materials, and we work with manufacturers that embrace the safety requirements that protect operators and equipment in the pulp and paper industry.
- Endress+Hauser manufactures components like pH sensors, conductivity sensors, and ORP sensors specially designed for heavily turbid or polluted media in pulp and paper manufacturing, as well as abrasion resistant electromagnetic flowmeters.
- Thermon specializes in heat tracing instrumentation. Thermon provides preinsulated tubing, long pipeline heating, and more for winterization, viscosity reduction, and condensation prevention.
- Pepperl+Fuchs designs products ranging from raw material production to finishing. P+H’s ultrasonic and photoelectric distance measurement sensors detect paper rolls, monitor web stock diameters, and ensure consistent web tension. Robust encoders and positioning systems control web tension and to avoid web breaks by precisely detecting cylinders and rollers. Ultrasonic sensors reduce material waste by reliably detecting splices.
- Ashcroft provides pressure switches and gauges suitable for caustic materials in the production process. In extreme conditions, diaphragm seals ensure compatibility with black liquor and other harsh chemicals, and isolation rings allow slurries to pass through pipelines without fouling pressure measurement instruments.
- Eurotherm develops instrumentation for process control, measurement, precise temperature control and data recording.
Pulp & Paper Valves
The pulp and paper industry continues to evolve as demand changes, and as existing mill machines are repurposed to make products like paperboard. Carotek can help to select the right valves and other equipment to enhance performance and uptime, and increase profit. Valves must have the proper temperature capability, pressure rating, and chemical resistance, and must also be compatible with the solvent chemistry used to remove scale and biological growth in a pipeline. Learn more in our blog post: Best Valves for the Pulp & Paper Industry.
- DeZurik provides innovative control, gate, plug, butterfly, automatic air, and check valves suited for various applications.
- Velan is best known for cast steel and forged steel valves, including gate valves, ball valves, check valves, and butterfly valves. Velan valves are designed specifically for reliable, low fugitive emissions in difficult services in mill applications.
- Flowserve offers a full line of valves that are designed to work continuously with corrosive fluids and erosive solids at high pressures and temperature, including Valtek & Kammer.
- Kammer Valves are engineered and manufactured for challenging applications. Kammer is perfect for custom applications, due to the versatility and interchangeability of the Kammer design. Over half of all Kammer valves are custom designed, often at no additional cost.
- Valtek Valves are known for reliability, long life, parts interchangeability, ease of maintenance and prompt delivery. Valtek's line includes the popular Mark series of linear globe/angle control valves, quarter-turn control, severe service, cavitation control, erosion resistant, high performance, pneumatic actuators, digital and analog positioners.
- DFT specializes in line, axial flow, nozzle style silent check valves and severe service control valves. DFT’s SCV threaded in-line check valve, made from stainless steel, provides resistance from corrosion and high temperature.
- QTRCO supplies high performance actuators, including stainless steel actuators. In paper manufacturing, QTRCO stainless steel actuators have been shown to reduce maintenance in the wet end of a machine, where chemicals and moisture create a harsh environment.
- Tretter (or TMC) valves offers a full line of sampling valves, drain valves, polymer valves, diverter and mixing valves, and line blinds. Tretter Manufacturing Company also specializes in repairing and improving worn valves.
Pulp and paper mills use condensate drainage equipment to make sure water does not collect in steam lines and process equipment, which would degrade the overall system. Steam traps and condensate pumps help ensure that condensate is properly drained from steam tracing and distribution lines. By effectively using steam and condensate energy manufacturers can improve energy efficiency, maximize profitability, and increase productivity. Carotek can help find solutions for your steam, air, and hydronic needs.
- Armstrong International provides steam traps, strainers, vents, and related steam specialty products. Armstrong’s offerings also include steam flow measurement products, stainless steel boiler air preheaters, steam and liquid pulp dryer coils.