Key Findings on ERP, IIoT, and the Cloud
The 2018 Enterprise Resources Planning, IIoT and the Cloud Study, by ControlEngineering, CFE Media and sponsored by SAP, unveiled several key findings regarding end users' understanding and usage of enterprise resource planning (ERP), the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT), and usage of the Cloud for data management:
- 59% of end users are managing business processes using enterprise resource planning (ERP).
- 78% of end users, or their clients, are investing in capabilities to automate data or information transmission from the production plant or supply chain to their ERP system.
- 73% of end users, or their clients, are investing in the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT).
- 72% of end users, or their clients, are investing in greater use of the Cloud for data management either for process control and automation or enterprise business systems.
- Engineering or IT staff are most interested in exploring connectivity enhancements and improved network management, while corporate entities or local executive management are interested in pursuing analytics, simulation, and modeling functions, as well as Cloud computing.
- 56% of end users associate HMIs, SCADA, data historians, alarm management, and data acquisition systems with productivity gain based on IIoT advances; 40% said the same of EAM/ERP/MES software integration.
- 64% of end user's companies invest in an integrated ERP system for technology and data purposes or goals.
- When it comes to Cloud type that best fits their needs, 47% of end users prefer a private Cloud and 7% said public.