Pulp & Paper Process Equipment
Safety is paramount in a mill environment, and selecting the appropriate equipment plays a critical role. In addition, due to the corrosive and caustic nature of materials and byproducts in the pulp and paper industry, equipment needs to resist corrosion and pitting. To maintain continuous uptime and reduce long-term costs, it’s important to select the appropriate pumps, valves, steam, and instrumentation for the application. Carotek can help select equipment to meet your production requirements as well as safety and environmental standards. Let Carotek partner with you in finding the right equipment.
Pulp & Paper Pumps
Pumps are used in every aspect of the pulp and paper production. Whether the result of the production step is pulp, paper, paperboard, or another product, caustic media is involved. The best pump solutions for the industry ensure long service intervals and lifecycles.
Carotek works with pump manufacturers that design solutions for the pulp and paper industry:
- Sulzer is known for innovative, reliable, and proven solutions for pumping, agitation, and mixing in the pulp and paper industry. Sulzer offers a full line of pumps, mixers, agitators, aerators, and compressors for pumping, mixing, and water and effluent treatment.
- PumpWorks provides a wide variety of centrifugal pumps. For the pulp and paper industry, PumpWorks offers pumps suitable for chemical injection/mixing, water transfer, bleach feed, liquor transfer, blending, wash cycle applications.
At Carotek, we understand the hazards of measuring and monitoring potentially caustic materials, and we work with manufacturers that embrace the safety requirements that protect operators and equipment in the pulp, paper, and paperboard industry.
- Endress+Hauser provides industrial measurement and automation equipment to the pulp and paper industry. E+H manufactures components like pH sensors, conductivity sensors, and ORP sensors specially designed for heavily turbid or polluted media in pulp and paper manufacturing, as well as abrasion resistant electromagnetic flowmeters.
- Thermon specializes in heat tracing instrumentation. For the pulp and paper industry, Thermon provides preinsulated tubing, long pipeline heating, and more for winterization, viscosity reduction, and condensation prevention.
- Pepperl+Fuchs designs products for the pulp and paper industry ranging from raw material production to finishing. P+H’s ultrasonic and photoelectric distance measurement sensors detect paper rolls, monitor web stock diameters, and ensure consistent web tension. Robust encoders and positioning systems control web tension and to avoid web breaks by precisely detecting cylinders and rollers. Ultrasonic sensors reduce material waste by reliably detecting splices.
- Ashcroft provides pressure switches and gauges suitable for caustic materials in the pulp, paper, and paperboard production process. In extreme conditions, diaphragm seals ensure compatibility with black liquor and other harsh chemicals, and isolation rings allow slurries to pass through pipelines without fouling pressure measurement instruments.
- Eurotherm develops instrumentation for process control, measurement, precise temperature control and data recording.
Pulp & Paper Valves
The pulp and paper industry continues to evolve as demand changes, and as existing paper machines are repurposed to make products like paperboard. Carotek can help to select the right valves and other equipment to enhance performance and uptime, and increase profit. Valves for pulp and paper must have the proper temperature capability, pressure rating, and chemical resistance, and must also be compatible with the solvent chemistry used to remove scale and biological growth in a pipeline.
- DeZurik provides innovative control, gate, plug, butterfly, automatic air, and check valves suited for various pulp and paper applications.
- Velan is best known for cast steel and forged steel valves, including gate valves, ball valves, check valves, and butterfly valves. Velan valves are designed specifically for reliable, low fugitive emissions in difficult services in pulp and paper mill applications.
- Flowserve offers a full line of valves that are designed to work continuously with corrosive fluids and erosive solids at high pressures and temperature, including Valtek & Kammer.
- DFT specializes in in?line, axial flow, nozzle style silent check valves and severe service control valves. DFT’s SCV threaded in-line check valve, made from stainless steel, provides resistance from corrosion and high temperature.
- QTRCO supplies high performance actuators, including stainless steel actuators ideal for the pulp and paper industry. In paper manufacturing, QTRCO stainless steel actuators have been shown to reduce maintenance in the wet end of a paper machine, where chemicals and moisture create a harsh environment.
- Tretter (or TMC) valves offers a full line of sampling valves, drain valves, polymer valves, diverter and mixing valves, and line blinds. Tretter Manufacturing Company also specializes in repairing and improving worn valves.
- Farris supplies pressure relief valves to prevent over-pressurization and ensure the safety of pulp and paper processing.
Pulp and paper mills use condensate drainage equipment to make sure water does not collect in steam lines and process equipment, which would degrade the overall system. Steam traps and condensate pumps help ensure that condensate is properly drained from steam tracing and distribution lines. By effectively using steam and condensate energy, pulp and paper manufacturers can improve energy efficiency, maximize profitability, and increase productivity. Carotek can help find solutions for your steam, air, and hydronics needs.
- Armstrong International provides steam traps, strainers, vents, and related steam specialty products to the pulp and paper industry. Armstrong’s offerings also include steam flow measurement products, stainless steel boiler air preheaters, steam and liquid pulp dryer coils suitable for the pulp and paper industry.
- The Hellan Strainer Company manufactures manual and automatic self-cleaning strainers that allow for on-line screen cleaning. Hellan Strainers remove all types of solids from various fluids. The Hellan basket strainer is recommended for the pulp and paper industry because it discharges solids from the flow without disassembly, eliminating the necessity of frequent basket removal for cleaning. This reduces operational and maintenance costs and permits continuous flow of fluids.